Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Jesus love me, this I know......or ?

Too often true about religion and religious intolerance, from facebook:

"Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"


Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

And this is not ONLY picking on Baptists - a notoriously conservative group of Protestants; there are similar chasms of belief between different groups of Lutherans, Catholics, Jews and other religious groups, largely based on whether or not they are conservative or liberal, etc.

That the larger, more important message is lost in the push for heterodoxy seems to get missed, in so many ways and in so many different aspects of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. That bit in quotes is from Emo Phillips, a pretty brilliant guy who I haven't seen in years,

    ReplyDelete